Does the young person have special educational needs and disabilities?

Does the young person have special educational needs and disabilities?


A child or young person has SEND if they have a learning difficulty or disability that calls for special educational provision to be made for them.

To understand more about SEND and a school's obligations to address additional needs, read the Quick Guide: Special educational needs and disabilities

Speak to the family and look through the school's records and the panel pack. Search for evidence of SEND, either that has been identified or that is likely to be present but has not been identified. It is often useful to look at correspondence between staff if you have it, as they will regularly express concern about unmet needs or a desire for further support, even when this concern is not apparent from the school's panel pack.

Next step? 

Once you have done this, answer the question: Does the young person have identified or apparent SEND?



On this page

This information is correct at the time of writing, 5th September 2023. The law in this area is subject to change.

Coram Children’s Legal Centre cannot be held responsible if changes to the law outdate this publication. Individuals may print or photocopy information in CCLC publications for their personal use.

Professionals, organisations and institutions must obtain permission from the CCLC to print or photocopy our publications in full or in part.